Knowing When To Call It.

This season has been super hot and short on wind especially these past few weeks.  Last week we finally got a day that looked good so I took Woodstock out single-handed. I had a great sail but cut it short as I watched the Southern gray skies moving North.


Mirage 24 Sailboat

A quick check of the radar app on my phone confirmed my suspicion the storms that were heading due East had started migrating North. Halfway between Holland and Saugatuck I decided it was time to head back to port. 


As I headed South the wind completely dropped off. The literal calm before the storm.  With no wind, it was time to start up the motor and head the rest of the way in.  The storm never made it as far North as Saugatuck but I suspect South Haven the port just South of me got hit.  Some days it's best to just call a short sail good enough and not press your luck.  This was that day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post