Spring Preparations

The weather here is starting to warm up and people are starting to prep their boats for the season. There has been a lot of speculation about whether boats would be put in this year due to the Covid-19 outbreak or not. The boatyard has been pretty quiet up to the last week or so and boats are starting to go in. 


Last season I had to go up the mast in the Bosen chair. Most of the people climbing masts don't recommend climbing wire halyards. The main halyard is actually in pretty rough shape so this season with the mast down I decided to replace it with an all rope halyard and eliminate the wire split. This will give me a lot of peace of mind for the next time I have to climb the mast.


This Spring I am preparing for the conversion to roller furler. This required a rigging change for Woodstock's forestay. I needed to switch out the turnbuckle at the bottom and the top needed to have a toggle end. I picked up a new forestay at Rigging Only 



Sometimes these ring clips can be a real pain especially just after clipping your fingernails.  I figure out that using the can opener on my knife makes it a sinch to spread these out and put them on.


With the rig down I went through and did a thorough inspection of all the rigging even redoing the spreader boots.



It has been a few weeks since I did the water pump change on my motor and I really wanted to run in to make sure everything was working correctly before bringing it down to the boat for the season.  Everything looks good here. 






Mirage 24 Sailboat

Hull Waxed bottom painted. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post