Sleeping aboard leads to a few sewing projects

The season has entered full swing. This week THYC had their kids day. We decided to spend the night aboard as a family. The wind scoop is one of my favorite things on the boat.  It just blows cool air right down the front hatch.  


The club had games and crafts set up for the kids and we spent some serious time playing with the giant Jenga set.

We decided before we do too much more camping on the boat it was time for some mosquito netting.  So I broke out the sewing machine this week and got busy.  

I took a few short cuts with the netting instead of hemming all the edges I melted a few of them with the blow torch.  I think this will work just as well to preventing the Sunbrella from fraying and it saves some of my material for future projects.

I decided to sew up a quick privacy curtain as well.  This will separate the main cabin from the head and V berth. To do this I used Sunbrella for the backing.  In Ann Arbor, there is a great shop called the Scrap Box.  They sell all kinds of industrial materials and scraps. Whenever I go there I always pick up some of their ripstop nylon. I think this material might be coming from a hot air balloon manufacturer. It is the same stuff used to make spinnakers. Regardless in my collection, I found a great piece of yellow laid it out over a print out of Woodstock and traced it with a sharpie marker.
I even found this really whimsical bow pattern on the sewing machine to attach it. 
Upon completion, I have a great little privacy curtain ready to go onto the boat.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post