Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Provisions and Repairs.

"Spring" is here in Michigan and it's that time of year again. That's right time to get the boat ready for launching!  I spent some time picking up a few of the provisions I needed at my favorite local marina Wolfs this afternoon. 

Then it hailed here on us.  We're supposed to get an inch of snow tonight.  Boo! 

So I moved on to doing some patchwork on my Sail Right main.  One of the batton pockets ripped out last year.  Actually, I'm not sure if it was ever sewed closed at the back.  This is the sail the previous owner sewed up and there appears to be a distinct lack of stitching. I used this sail all last season but lost the upper batten somewhere along the way. A few zips with the machine and it's ready to go. The hardest part is bunching the sail up under the machine's armature. 

I also patched up my foredeck stuff bag. Now this one I know was my fault I was at the dock holding on to the halyard for balance when I ripped the bag at the shackle point.  Now this one was a bit harder to patch up the canvas and nylon webbing are pretty thick but this old Viking machine was able to punch through after a few tries. 

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

New year New Color.

I have to say I'm loving the new registration tag colors this year.  They go really well with my boat's colors.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Out For Some Hard Water Sailing This Weekend.

The weather conditions and schedules finally lined up this weekend for some sailing. My brother and I met up on Rose Lake with my DN and my Dad's Skimmer. From there we spent about six hours out on the lake.  Ice boating is some serious fun for those of you have never tried it.  It takes sailing to a new level.  While conditions were not perfect we were still skimming along dodging drifts at around 35-40 mph.  Speed sailing.  Keep in mind my boats are just cruisers the racers go faster. Here are some videos and pictures of the day.

Go for a DN Ride.

Go for a skimmer ride.

Back to the DN

In the zone.

The old DN still slides

Dress warm because it is cold in the 20's today not including wind chills and there will be wind.

View from the sidecar.  Hang on tight.  Just before my brother Jibed and tried to throw me out.

Bro and my niece of for a scoot around the lake

My DN set up with my brother's sidecar for ride alongs.

Always wear your helmet.  
Off for a ride.  

My Uncle out on the skimmer. 
DN video edited for fun. 

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Snow raking

So much snow.  Last night we picked up another two feet.  This morning it was roof raking time for the neighborhood.  Along with it, I raked the boat off.  Still dry inside.

Backyard view

Sunday, December 17, 2017

All tucked in.

All tucked in for a long winter's nap.

Snow free decking.

Dusty and dry. 

Monday, November 20, 2017

2017 wrap up

This post is about two months late.  I've been out of the water since the end of September.  I don't know why I just haven't gotten around to writing lately.  This year we brought the boat home for the winter. Usually, we leave it at the marina but I have plans to redo some of the brightwork this spring. I'll be able to self-launch when I'm ready plus it has gives me the chance to do a rig inspection as well as look through everything really closely.  Now I have a list of winter projects in hand.  Everything from a few little sail patches to switching out a few turnbuckles.  

During my rig inspection, I found I need to change out 2 turnbuckles, as soon as I touched the windex the brittle old plastic shattered and I'm also planning on replacing the internal halyards, main, and jib this winter.  

Here the mast is all wound up and ready to go back up on the deck for the winter

This season, I sailed exclusively with my sail rite sails. Both jib and Genoa are holding up super well.  The main came with the boat when I purchased it. The previous owner sewed it up and it is doing great as well but one of the batten pockets needs some attention and reinforcement.  It should be a quick, easy sewing job. 

I went through the cabin pulling out and storing the cushions indoors for the winter.  Looks like I'll need new flares in the Spring.  Does anybody know where to take old flares?  

Mast up and skeleton frame on. 

This year I'm going with clear plastic to cover.  This is my favorite kind of cover.  I find it works better than a tarp because I use golf balls to place the tie downs exactly where I need them.  Plus it is was left over from the project in the crawl space so it was just laying around. 

All bundled and wrapped up for winter.  

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Typhoons Tubing

 This year I upgraded my motor to a 7.5 long shaft and it has made a big difference on the way we use the boat. While it is a bit much the power is sure nice to have. It also uses more gas  ⛽  but has been worth it.  The trip up the river to the lake is about 40 minutes and the extra horse power make it go a bit easier especially on high traffic days.

What do you do when you hit the lake and there is absolutely no wind.  I mean zero, zilch, notta.  How about tie the pool floaty to the back and pull the kid around.  I know sacrilege a sailboat tubing but the kid had a great time. 

Getting into position.


Set Go.