Sea Cocks and motor mount 2 and brr.


Bronze looks great all cleaned up and shinny, but I have to draw the line some where.  This is it.  I will not be polishing these but maintence is a must.  


My Typhoon has two Groco sea cocks.  They work very well but need some annual attention.  

To pull them apart it is pretty straight forward.  A small socket on a ratchet and the bolts pop right out.  

   



Mine usually come right apart with a little wiggling.  However if they get stuck you can twist in the preasure plate adjustment to push out the valve body.



When you pull out the valve body a bronze preasure plate should also come out.  Inspect all the pieces.

  

Next I turn the preasure plate adjustment knob all the way in and spray lube into the housing.  I'm using white lithium grease.  All the articles I've read say to stay away from petroleum based lubes.

    


Next I lube up the the remainder of the pieces and reassemble.

 

First twist out the preasure plate adjustment knob then insert the preasure plate and valve body.

Bolt it all back together.


If the valve get stiff during the season, I remove the grease zerk and spray in more grease.  


Also I put the finishing touches on the Bronze motor mount with a quick coat of clear today. 

   

Then we woke up to this in the morning.  Looks like we are back to cold for a few more days here.






Comments

  1. Great photography Chris, thanks. I have not disassembled my valves under the premise, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Another maxim trained in me by the military. When I do, I'll consult this thread again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this bad habit of having to know how things work so I take lots of stuff apart. These come apart real easy and I figure an ounce of prevention now will save me from having to pull them out later. I was reading about a guy taking his apart on the cd forums thinking boy I don't want to do that any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the brand and model of your seacocks? I haven't been able to find proper seacocks (not just a thru-hull to ball valve) that will fit due to the close proximity of the sidewall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off thev top off my head i can't think of the manufacturer. They are original to the boat. I saw a set sittingbon the shelf at Wolfs surplus marine store in Benton Harbor if that helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post