Monday, April 14, 2014

Sea Cocks and motor mount 2 and brr.


Bronze looks great all cleaned up and shinny, but I have to draw the line some where.  This is it.  I will not be polishing these but maintence is a must.  


My Typhoon has two Groco sea cocks.  They work very well but need some annual attention.  

To pull them apart it is pretty straight forward.  A small socket on a ratchet and the bolts pop right out.  

   



Mine usually come right apart with a little wiggling.  However if they get stuck you can twist in the preasure plate adjustment to push out the valve body.



When you pull out the valve body a bronze preasure plate should also come out.  Inspect all the pieces.

  

Next I turn the preasure plate adjustment knob all the way in and spray lube into the housing.  I'm using white lithium grease.  All the articles I've read say to stay away from petroleum based lubes.

    


Next I lube up the the remainder of the pieces and reassemble.

 

First twist out the preasure plate adjustment knob then insert the preasure plate and valve body.

Bolt it all back together.


If the valve get stiff during the season, I remove the grease zerk and spray in more grease.  


Also I put the finishing touches on the Bronze motor mount with a quick coat of clear today. 

   

Then we woke up to this in the morning.  Looks like we are back to cold for a few more days here.