Varnish Wooah's



It's been a while since I've posted.  Oh well, I've been busy sailing.  I finally stopped long enough to do the maintenance coat on the varnish.  My wife got home from work and I made a B-line for the door.  I spent a warm warm summer evening scuffing and coating the varnish.  I thought I'd done a pretty decent job with the exception of one location where I knew I had a run but couldn't get it to work out.  I figured I'd scuff it out in a few days and touch up the area.
Cape Dory Typhoon at sun set.
Now the problem.  I ended up with a heavy dew setting in that night.  The result was a a glazed effect on all of the teak I'd done the night before.  

Glazed teak from early dew.

I was less than thrilled.  After a couple of days of grousing about it, I headed down again.  This time on a warm/hot morning.  I ended up scuffing up all the teak with some 220 sand paper and then going over it again with a fine 3M scuff pad.  It was at this point I was thinking "letting the teak go gray sounds pretty good."  Turns out second time is the charm. The teak came out great. 


Shinned up for the season. 

port outer
starboard inner



Teak: it's a lot of work. Next season, I'm doing it while it is on the trailer, without boats going by rocking me up and down.




Comments

  1. Chris I agree with your surmise, doing that pre-season while in a stable environment is best. Had same dilemma on a related deck problem this year using Messmers on Brazilian Ipe wood, after proper application it rained the following day and then southern sun baked rain on deck and created a sticky mess. When I did Baggy Wrinkles, I removed all teak and performed my applications in the garage with temp at plus 50degrees and humidity around 60%. Anyway, nice recovery! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post