Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Rigging, and bottom finish.

Rigging projects.  What is that?  No.. no electrical tape is not the same as rigging tape.  Oh boy I think we will just make a new fore stay.  

Boot Strip.

I used  what was left of the top of my existing boot strip and projected down .  Similar to this video from sailing  Magazine.  My boot strip might be a bit wider that the original but I figure it is easier to paint the blue up a little higher than trying to apply red over the anti-fouling paint later.  Hopefully every thing will lay correctly we will see once it is in the water.  

Bottom paint.

With all of the reading I've done it seems their is a push to remove copper from bottom paints.   So I decided to take the leap and go with Pettit Paints Ultima Eco, Copper Free Dual-Biocide.  According to the guys at Wolfs Marine it is a new product this year but the testing on it has been shown to have good results.  It took about half a gallon to put 3 coats on the bottom.  It looks pretty good.  Sitting in the back yard on the trailer it has started to turn a lighter blue as it has dried and water has washed down from the hull being washed.  

Mast up.

Here we go the mast goes up so easy on this thing.  I actually walked it up myself  from the back of the boat.  Their are a few things to do still but things are looking good.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Stripping the bottom of a CD Typhoon

At the start I think there may have been 35 years worth of paint on the bottom of this boat minus what had chipped off.   I knew this was going to be a big job at the beginning but thought maybe I'd get lucky and most of it would just power wash off and a lot did.  It ended up being a 3 stage process.  Power wash, Chemical Strip then ultimately grind/sand off  the remaining paint. 

Stage 1.  Power washing let's see what we have here.

 A good power wash also identified some problem areas around the rudder gudgeon, and shaft.

That can't be good.
Well there is still some fiber glass holding the rudder on.

Inspector is up from his nap...  Dad things are not looking good here.

Stage 2 Paint Stripper.  

For this I used Back to Nature Ready Strip.  Found at your friendly West Marine.  The reviews on West's web site are pretty accurate.  The stripper is not a cure all but given time it takes off quite a bit.  I stripped the entire bottom twice and along the water line once more.  The product worked well but there was still quite a bit of work to be done.  The water line was the toughest.  It was also where the paint build up was the heaviest.

Before stripper
After Stripper

Stage 3. Sanding.
There is no easy way to do this.  I tried using all the sanders I had at my disposal and eventually just ended up using a sanding disk on my high speed drill.  I burned through 2 of the plastic disks and countless pieces of sand paper.  The sand paper gums up pretty quickly when you are sanding this paint.  I did find that hitting the paper on a rough brick would chip off some of the paint build up and bring the sand paper back to life for a bit longer but not much.  I'd also stay away from any sand paper made by Gator.   That stuff was the worst of as the glue on the back of their sand paper is all but useless.  I shot several pieces of Gator paper across my yard.  Something none of the other brands did. After several evenings of grinding away in 98 + degree weather... Yeah I picked one of the hottest summers ever to do this in the middle of a drought.  I finally got to the end a smooth clean bottom.  

Before Sanding

After  some sanding.

Final push sanding the water line.

Final thoughts.  Wow was it hot that day.  Maybe I should have had someone sandblast this thing.

After this a good bit of faring  and glass work was done to smooth out the real rough spots; patch up the surface, repair the rudder  gudgeon, and re-secure the rudder to its shaft.  In the end, the bottom isn't perfect but it is a far cry from where it started.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Scrub a Dub Dub.... Wasps in a Typhoon.

1st a good cleaning.  

The boat was pretty messy but the inside was really bad.  Full of Mud Douber nests. Yeah these nasty little guys.  Luckily there weren't too many adults.  Basically, the entire boat was emptied out.  I went through and pulled down the nests and vacuumed them all out.  Then I pulled out the garden hose and sprayed out the entire boat stem to stern.  It's pretty tight getting in the back of the boat under the seats and spraying inside the fiberglass liners.   When we where kids we squeezed in and out of my Uncles Cape Dory Typhoon this way all winter long not a second thought.  ... I've grown some since then.  

A Tight Fit.

Cleaned out and Drying.

Wasp nest free even in the bilge.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Initial Blog Post We Made it Home.

Hi all.  We have purchased a new to us Cape Dory Typhoon.  It's a bit of a fixer upper. This is her straight from Illinois full of Mud Dobber nests and all.  Lucky thing my wife (see stranger than fiction) went into the hospital or I might have never found it.  Seems I'm always buying a boat while or right after she gets out of the hospital.

A lot has happened since this picture and I hope to have time to start updating this blog soon.  

Here are the basics. This is a 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender.  For all the specs and some history on the Typhoon you can check out this link.   It's late so I'll get working on more updates later. 

Packing it up for winter

Sailing has been non-existent this September. With school back in session, I have time for very little else. The weekend weather has also b...