All tucked in for a long winter's nap.
Snow free decking.
Dusty and dry.
|During my rig inspection, I found I need to change out 2 turnbuckles, as soon as I touched the windex the brittle old plastic shattered and I'm also planning on replacing the internal halyards, main, and jib this winter.|
|Here the mast is all wound up and ready to go back up on the deck for the winter|
|This season, I sailed exclusively with my sail rite sails. Both jib and Genoa are holding up super well. The main came with the boat when I purchased it. The previous owner sewed it up and it is doing great as well but one of the batten pockets needs some attention and reinforcement. It should be a quick, easy sewing job.|
|I went through the cabin pulling out and storing the cushions indoors for the winter. Looks like I'll need new flares in the Spring. Does anybody know where to take old flares?|
|Mast up and skeleton frame on.|
|This year I'm going with clear plastic to cover. This is my favorite kind of cover. I find it works better than a tarp because I use golf balls to place the tie downs exactly where I need them. Plus it is was left over from the project in the crawl space so it was just laying around.|
|All bundled and wrapped up for winter.|
|Getting into position.|
|Oval Beach Land Ho|
As we close in on the beach I like to anchor near one of the swim area markers. This performs two tasks; first, it shortens the swim to the beach. Second, and more importantly, is it gives me an easy frame of reference to see if my anchor is dragging. After all, I'm anchoring on a sand bar and it would be nice to know if the boat is moving before it gets too close to shore.
Finding an anchorage site.
The picture here doesn't really do it justice, we were quite close. Close enough to chat with a couple who came out and asked what kind of boat we were on and have a whole conversation about the water temperature and depth while they stood on the other side of the maker post.
From shore I can easily tell if the anchor is dragging.