Posts

Showing posts from May, 2014

Second outing, first sail!

Image
So Memorial Day weekend is upon us.  The weather here in Michigan could not be better.  The last two days we have had crystal clear skies and temps in the upper 70's. Time to hit the lake.
 Over the past week more navigational markers have shown up in the lake and things are looking great. The channels are marked very well this year.  We set of from our dock and had a great time zig zagging around.   We were out and about for about 2 hours today and saw many of the great sites here on Lake Kalamazoo.  The river paddle boat came through the lake, we even saw the duck boat today.   The Anex patio was open although no live music was coming from there just yet, it was early in the day.

 Myles was super today he pulled up the jib halyard.
Cleating 

Under way.
Oh no we are out of snacks!  Time to head home. 


Weight ratios

Image
So I went down this weekend to clean up and finish setting up for the season.  I pulled lots of stuff off the boat that won't stay on board all year and also moved several things around, generally straightening up.  One of the big things I moved was the anchor.  I've always kept the anchor in the front compartment under the V-berth.  For this season I've moved it to the back of the boat.  You can see the difference this makes at the water line in the picture below.  I'm hoping moving the anchor will make entering and leaving the dock easier.  With the anchor in the front we keep running into a problem.  As we go forward to through off the bow lines our weight pushes down the bow and pulls the motor out of the water. The Gurgle gurgle of the motor just adds stress to the whole departure that does not need to be there.  This seems to have helped our problem although we may need to eat a few less Big Macs if we want to solve it entirely.  Weight distribution on a small s…

Main sail rigging

Image
This post is a quick reference for rigging the main sail of a Cape Dory Typhoon.  Each boat over time has different modifications made to it based on the skippers preferences so your boat may not be exactly like this one.  However this is how I put mine together.

Ifirst start with tuning the mast in.  I like to have a bit of rake in the mast and to be sure that it is in column.  


Next I slide the booms goose neck into the mast.
I slide the boom down to the sail stop and make sure it is tight with a screw driver.
Then I clip the back side of the boom to the back stay catch.
After that I get to work on untwisting the main sheet.  
My current main sheet set up goes something like this.  It is a bit of a variation from the original set up.  You can see I still use one of the original Schafer stand up blocks to guide the sheet line to the cam cleat but the Harken fiddle block does most of the heavy lifting here.  Later this season I'm hopping to switch this system out for a traveler.  
Next I…

Loading up and Rolling out.

Image
Myles and his wagon were a big help this Friday as we loaded all the gear into the boat.  After several trips around the backyard we got all the equipment, sails, and cushions aboard.  



This winter we sold our station wagon for a more fuel efficient vehicle.  The wagon was a great car for pulling the Typhoon but the mpg was killing us.  Saturday morning we rented a truck from U-haul to pull the boat back to the marina.  After millage it came out to 52 bucks for the day.  Not bad, we easily make the rental cost up in fuel savings in just one week of driving back and forth to work. 


After mounting up the engine, filling the tires with air and checking the tie downs we were off.

Once down at the marina we popped the mast up and the boat was ready for launch.  We haven't had to many warm dry days so I did not get a coat of varnish on the teak.  I'd hoped varnish before launching but that does not look like it will be the happening, because splash time is here.  2014 Season Launch!