Hover craft and greasy winches.

It's always a bit funny to see my Typhoon hovering in the air as I lower the trailer bunks to paint under them.  The boat shifts slightly as she settles on the keel.  I lower two bunks at a time and paint under them. Then wait an hour or so put them back then lower the other two.  The end result is a nicely finished bottom ready for another season in the water.





Winches:  click click click....  What you should not be hearing when pulling a line around your winch.  
I pulled my winches apart for their annual lubing.  To do this I use a star bit on my ratchet, a pair of gloves, a grease gun, rags, and a plastic bag to contain the mess.

As you pull out the screw be sure not to lose the bronze washer/spacer plate.  This is one of those things that could easily go plop into the lake.  My boat is actually missing one.  The winch still works perfectly fine if you lose it, but it has a bit more play in the top plate. One of these days I'll have to find a replacement.


Remove the top of the winch and set it aside on a plastic bag. 


Remove the lower portion and also set it aside.


Clean any grime off, lube the lower section and top section.



Reassemble in the reverse order wiping up any excess grease as you go.  The result will be well worth it as you sail silently across the water.


I also took a minute to check the fit of my new fore stay pin.  A big thanks to John at Torresen Marine Rigging.  For the great service and fast follow up on this well overdue project. 




List to Complete:

Wax Hull
Wax Cabin Top
Fill gel coat nick
Paint bottom
Wipe out inside
Mount and prep out board.
Grease winches
Grease sea cocks
Check trailer tire air pressure
Grease trailer wheel bearings
Load cushions and safety gear. 
Go Get Wet.

Comments

  1. I was under the impression that light oil on the pawls is preferable to heavy grease, which can get gummy and prevent the pawls from engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ariel cd 36. Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I've never had a problem doing it this way. Someone showed this to me years back I and I've always just done it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Building a Spinnaker Sock DIY

Main sail rigging

A removable compression post