Showing posts from November, 2013

Tiller cover

Last spring I took my first attempt at making a tiller cover for my Typhoon, but it ended up being to tight.  Then our basement flooded ruining this prototype.  My spring attempt was basically a giant tube sock.  It was a massive pain pulling the end back through on itself.  "Sunbrella is stiff stuff"   and when it didn't fit.  I had a few choice words.    So I just blew it off for the season and went sailing.  
Well the summer sun is harsh and I want my varnish to last a bit longer so I decided to give it another go.  This time I plan to take the guess work out of it and make a tiller cover that is adjustable.  Similar to the one I had on my last boat Shenanigans.   Making it adjustable will solve many of the challenges one faces with a Typhoon tiller.  The first challenge the arc.  These tillers have quite a bend in them as they come up from the sole of the cockpit floor. This arc makes it more difficult to get the fabric to lay and look correct. and ultimately was …